Smoked Paprika Egg Salad Sandwich
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika (or sweet paprika)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (green and pale green part)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup diced celery
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (for brushing the bread slices)
- 8 slices whole grain or 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- fresh parsley leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, and smoked Spanish paprika in a large bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup of the mayonnaise mixture for brushing the bread slices.
- Add the green onion, parsley, celery and eggs to the remaining mayonnaise mixture and gently fold to combine; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush the bread on both sides with some of the oil and grill on a grill or grill pan until lightly golden brown or place on a baking sheet and place under the broiler for 45 seconds per side. Brush the top of the bread slices with the reserved mayonnaise mixture lightly.
- Divide the egg salad among the 8 slices of bread, top with slices of onion and a few parsley leaves. Serve open-faced.